Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's for Dinner?

A week or two ago I found a blog called Plain Chicken.  I don't know if you've been to this blog or not, but if you haven't, and you like simple, southern recipes, I suggest checking it out.  I had seen this soup on Pinterest a few times and then I saw it again on Plain Chicken (which I believe she also found it on Pinterest, but I like to hear from someone who has tried it, and gives a review) so I decided to try it.  We LOVED it.  It only takes about 2 min to throw everything into the crock pot.  Easiest dinner ever, right!?!  I DID make one change, every recipe I've seen calls for shredded hash browns, but I think the homestyle kind is better.  I just think potatoes cut into tiny squares is more pleasing than shredded potato.  I just don't know how I feel about shredded potato in my soup, but I am picky about the texture of my food. Just a suggestion!  I think this will be my go-to cold day recipe.  I usually crave beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes, but Curtis doesn't like beans because he doesn't know what's good so I find other soups to make.  This is by far the easiest.  One of my other favorites is Cheeseburger Soup, it is absolutely delicious but you have to spend an hour+ in the kitchen cutting shit up.  I like the "throw it all in the crock pot" kind much better.

Here is the recipe:
1 bag of frozen hash browns (30 oz, I use Ore Ida homestyle)
3 cans of chicken broth
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
2 tbsp dried chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 block of cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)

Throw everything except the cream cheese into the crock pot.  Cook on low 8-10 hours.  15 min before serving stir in cream cheese.

I noticed that the cream cheese will stay in small chunks for a little bit.  They will break down eventually.  It just looks weird at first.  You can also top your bowl with stuff you would put on a potato (bacon, chives, cheese, etc.)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to the store and buyin' some hashbrowns. This sounds delicious... where is the finished product? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I thought about taking a pic but potato soup really isn't all that pretty. I don't put anything on mine, and I didn't want to ruin my bowl with garnishments for the sake of taking a pretty picture. Haha. You should try it! It's soooo easy and really good. Curtis told me that it was his favorite soup ever (I don't know if I'd go that far, but it's pretty good).

      Delete