This time around I sewed the back of my pleats shut (thanks Aunt Lori for suggesting this!) because the pleats on my mom's bag spread out when there is stuff in it. After I got the pleats basted, I put the front and the back together to see if they matched up... they didn't.
I had to redo the bottom pleats by letting them out a little bit to make the bottom wider. After that was taken care of, it was smooth sailing until I got to the zipper. I don't care what people say, zippers are a bitch, especially when the pattern doesn't give you dimensions for the zipper, pocket, etc.. I have around 15 different colors of zippers that I got from zipit not too long ago, but only had ONE that would even come close to matching this fabric. I only had one shot to make it right. I cut the zipper 6" and put fabric ends on it. I cut the hole about 5.5" but by the time I got the little triangles at the end of the hole tucked in, it was 6". This made it a little difficult to get both ends of the zipper tacked and sewn.
Luckily I got it done. It may not be the prettiest job but it's on the inside of the bag. No one will be able to look at the inside close enough to notice my mistake. Finally I got to sew the thing together! I got the whole thing put together, turned right side out, and immediately slip stitched the opening at the bottom of the lining. Unfortunately my excitement got the best of me and I slip stitched it closed before I tried to put the lining inside the outer shell. Once it did put the lining in, the top edge of the bag wasn't laying right at all. I could not figure out what was wrong. I knew that the edges matched when I sewed it together. A little bit of panic started to set in, then it dawned on me that I didn't clip the rounded edges at the top. DUH! I had to rip out the slip stitching I had just done, turn it inside out again, clip the edges, turn it right side out and slip stitch it AGAIN! At least it turned out right the second time! PHEW! Here are the final pictures...