great tutorial on pinterest. I made the quilt top a few months ago with no problem. I was so proud of it after I was finished, that I was scared to ruin it. So it stayed folded up in my spare room (soon to be sewing room!) for a few months. My fiancee Curtis kept badgering me to finish it. Finally I decided to just suck it up and do it! I read as many blog posts as I could about putting the sandwich together and basting. My lovely friend Jen loaned me her quilting safety pins (the ones that are curved) and this awesome thing called a Kwik Klip (helps close safety pins). I am so glad I used those. Originally I was going to baste it by sewing but I'm glad I didn't. I don't think it could get any easier than pinning. I decided to machine quilt it since the pattern is a little more modern than "usual" quilts. I was afraid hand quilting would take away from the modern look (and it would take forever!). Machine quilting this thing was a total bitch! I had to turn the whole quilt every 5 inches. I was so happy when it was finished though! I was going to bind it with yellow, I even made 300" of yellow binding tape and then decided that I didn't want to use it. There are too many variations of yellow in the quilt, using one for the whole binding just wasn't going to look right. I just wanted the back to have some color too, oh well. I decided to go with the gray and I'm glad I did.
The binding was easier than I thought. There are a few mistakes but it's my first so I'm not going to beat myself up over them. All in all I am really happy with how this turned out. I may have a hard lesson coming up though, because I was so eager to start sewing, I did not prewash my fabric. I have my fingers crossed that it does not completely distort in the washing machine.
Please excuse the wrinkly pictures! Also, the quilt is gray and yellow, even though it looks blue.
UPDATE: I finally washed my quilt and everything came out fine! Woo hoo!